Read > Lead > Achieve
For more than 100 years, Pi Beta Phi has believed in the power of reading. Read > Lead > Achieve® is Pi Beta Phi's philanthropic effort, which inspires a lifelong love of reading that can unlock true potential creating a more literate and productive society. It is easy to get involved in Pi Beta Phi's Read > Lead > Achieve reading initiatives. Our charge is for each and every Pi Beta Phi to find a way they can participate, donate or advocate for Read > Lead > Achieve!
Pi Phi's international Read > Lead > Achieve initiatives include the following:
- Fraternity Day of Service - Pi Beta Phi's international day of literacy-related service celebrated in honor of Dr. Seuss' birthday.
- Champions are Readers ® Pi Beta Phi's unique reading enrichment program for students in prekindergarten through third grade.
- The Literacy Advocacy Project - an advocacy training program presented by Pi Beta Phi in partnership with the Barbara Bush Foundation for Family Literacy.
- Arrow in the Arctic - Pi Phi’s Canadian philanthropy, Arrow in the Arctic, supports reading in Canada’s Northern library systems: the Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut.
- Read > Lead > Achieve Month - Throughout the month of September, Pi Beta Phi is dedicated to raising awareness for Read > Lead > Achieve!
At the Ohio Theta chapter, we hold many events in order to raise money for Read > Lead > Achieve® initiatives. Listed below are a few examples:
Arrow Spike is a volleyball tournament held by Ohio Theta every spring semester. People from campus and the surrounding community form groups of six that are entered into a bracket. There is a women's team bracket as well as a male team bracket. The top 3 teams get prizes and a bragging rights. It is a great way to get active while raising money for a cause! In 2018, we held our Arrow Spike in Eppler on campus and raised almost $500.
Pasta With Pi Phi
Pasta with Pi Phi is a homemade all-you-can-eat spaghetti dinner made and served by our chapter. We hold it at a local church during the week, so it is the perfect escape from the university’s food to receive a nice home cooked meal. Last year, we held our Pasta with Pi Phi in St. Marks Church in the Fall Semester. We served homemade pasta, garlic bread, salad, and dessert!
Pie a Pi Phi
Pie a Pi Phi is one of our favorite philanthropies to put on! Typically, we stand in the Union Oval and invite people to get pied in the face...for a good cause! Pi Phi's get pied in the face as well by all their friends that walk by! It is easy for people to get to on the way to class and it costs very little to pie your favorite Pi Phi!
Champions Are Readers (CAR)
Each semester, we send 10-15 girls to one of our Advisor's classroom in the area where they are assigned to a student. For the rest of the semester, our sisters help their kids read. It is amazing to see the difference of their reading level within weeks!
Lemonade for Literacy
Each spring semester, Ohio Theta puts on Lemonade for Literacy! Although this is a smaller event, this is a chance to get the students on campus to be educated about illiteracy in America. We pass out lemonade to students with illiteracy facts taped on the cups for donations to Read > Lead > Achieve®.